If your doctor has requested that you have some test they will tell you what to expect. If your results are abnormal we will contact you either by telephone or letter to let you know (unless you have already booked a review appointment). We will not contact you if your results are normal. You can check on your results by speaking to our receptionists, please phone after 11 am in the morning or after 3pm in the afternoon. The receptionists have been trained to give out results but are unable to give you clinical advice. We suggest that you always contact the surgery to discover your results to make sure that nothing is missed.
Frequently asked questions regarding tests:
When will my results come back?
Most routine blood test will take 72hrs. The following Blood tests will take longer:
- Diabetes blood test (Hba1c) – 1 week
- Rheumatoid Arthritis blood test – 1 week
- Coeliac blood test (endomyssial antibody) – 2 weeks
- Vitamin D blood test – 3 weeks
Other tests will take:
|TEST||Time for Result|
|Chest Xray||7 days|
|Ultrasound scan||14 days|
|Urine sample||4 days|
|Sputum sample||1 week|
|Stool sample||4 days|
|Skin scraping||Up to 3 months|
|Nail clippings||Up to 3 months|
|Vaginal swab test||1 week|
|Smear test||Up to 2 weeks|
|24 hour Blood Pressure monitor||2 weeks|
How can I get my Test Results?
You can get your test results by:
- Calling the surgery after 11.00am or 3.00pm
- Post – please supply a Self addressed envelope and allow for postal delays
Why have I been asked to have a repeat test?
If a doctor asks you to have a repeat test it is usually because:
- The result was borderline or equivocal – so the doctor wants another sample to monitor the situation or to re-check
- The result is abnormal – and the doctor is unable to interpret the result without further tests so has asked you to come in for more test.
Please do not worry if the doctor has asked you for a repeat test, if there is a serious problem then the Doctor will speak or request to see you directly.